Saturday, October 22, 2005

Domains 'R Us

(I had to rename this post because it messed up my right page column.)

This is history in the making, and I had to find time to comment on it.

You're not going to believe this, but I actually agree with Bushco about something (and Norm Coleman...how fortune for "the accidental senator" from Minnesota that he's on the right side of an issue, I think, and still managing to pose effectively as someone who actually cares about working families). They argue that other countries want more control over the Internet for purposes of censorship, and - gulp - I think they're right.

I'm tired of watching ownership of technology created in this country shipped overseas in order to make a cheap buck. I haven't heard a good argument yet for making ICANN (identified in the CNN story) relinquish control of the system of IP numbers and domain names (also identified in story). Also, I think it's a bit of a tipoff that Iran is one of the countries complaining about the present setup.

However, I should point out that I once defended New York Times reporter Judith Miller, so I can definitely come around to another point of view if someone makes a convincing case for it.

Update 10/24: On the subject of Coleman, he obviously is still going after George Galloway regarding the "oil for food" scandal. I have some questions about this: first, Galloway's defense is that he "never saw any oil." It doesn't matter if he saw the oil; what matters is the money. Also, apparently, now Tauriq Aziz (formerly a flunkie for Saddam Hussein) is supposed to be "a good guy?" It sounds like Coleman's whole case is based on Aziz's heresay. Unbelievable!

No comments: